Friday, January 25, 2008

Put Me In, Coach. I'm on Steroids.

That's right, I have entered the world of dubious superstars, as I am on rigorous regiment of steroids.

I went to the doctor last week with persistent flu-like symptoms and learned that nothing is wrong with me. So, just to appease me, the good doctor put me on some cough medicine. A few days later, I was covered in nasty, all-to-familiar, red bumps that itched to no end. I have quite a mysterious history with hives in that I had them everyday for about 18 months a few years ago, and never figured out what caused them, where they came from or ultimately, why they left.

With the hives, a lot of things have changed in my life recently, from shampoo, Yes to Carrots!, to Jack LaLanne's PowerJuicer Pro among other stuff, so the doctor just put me on steroids to knock them out and then worry about it if they come back... which seems to be backward logic, but who am I to question someone who's a doctor.

Steroids are crazy though. I strongly doubt that my Prednisone is very similar to the stuff that bulks up ball players, but it has had some pretty incredible side-effects. First off, it gives me head aches right when I take them, but they fade. More importantly, I feel better. For the first time in months, I actually feel close to healthy, which is a good feeling. Also - and this one I'm struggling with the wording - I feel motivated.

At work, I'm doing tasks that I almost never bother with, thinking outside my normal routine, and everything's moving smoothly. At home, I feel like helping out more, which I'm not going to get into because I'm not sure if I actually have been helping out. Also at home, I've been playing a mean game of NCAA Football lately. I'm winning every game! I'm driven... focused... energized. Maybe I'm just healthy for the first time in months.

Now, if I could just stop getting these hives I'd be in good shape.

3 comments:

John Duffy said...

That picture's off of flickr which I'm not sure if I'm allowed to use... so photo credit to elflameboy.

Thanks, elflameboy!

Martha said...

OMG! That armpit scares me. Does that hurt??

John Duffy said...

Oh! The Pain! - no, not really. If anything it's painfully itchy, but I'd like to think I'm more of a man than that... I mean I'm on steroids now.