Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Loose Change

I find myself thinking about the recently de-linked Thoughts from the Change Race quite a bit. I'm always hopeful that I will find a penny or nickel in a parking lot or on a sidewalk somewhere, and when I do, I start to wonder how much money has been found, how much money has been lost, how much money I could find if I walked down more sidewalks, and ultimately, how much I've gotten out of shape and really should be walking more.

What brings it up is something I've noticed from work. As part of my job, I have to go door-to-door through neighborhoods throughout the county, and I've noticed that in the less desirable neighborhoods, there are stray coins in almost every other driveway and littered here and there throughout the street and sidewalk. The nicer neighborhoods, on the other hand, while usually having much more suspicious people, are virtually devoid of having any lost nickels and dimes.

I could probably list several probable reasons for this, but rather than reasons, I like to think of it as symbolic of something or other. Plus, some things have too many reasons for being what they are. I think that when I get around to writing the Great American Novel, I'll have to include this little tidbit some how. Right now, my working title is John Duffy: The Greatest Man Alive. It's a work in progress though.

No comments: