Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Oil Change

I am not a mechanic. The only things I know about how my car is doing I learn from the lights that pop up on my dash. “Check Engine,” “Check Fluids,” the Oil Tank Lamp, “Brakes Out!” my car screams in red and yellow lights and I translate that into “I need a mechanic!” The other lights, the “Gas Low” light and the flashing seat belt guy, I can usually take care of on my own.

Of all those, it’s the flashing seat belt guy that actually screams at you. You’d think the other ones would be just as important, but I guess not. If your brakes go out, everything will be okay as long as your seat belt is on.

My new car, which’s aging as we speak, has several features that I love, and I seem to be finding new ones by the day. There is no Oil Tank Lamp, for instance. Instead, the odometer disappears and in its place is “Oil Life – 10%”, which I’ve since learned to access for an Oil Life Update. Unlike the demanding lights of yesteryear, this car merely suggests that it would be wise to get an oil change. I love it!

About a week ago, on my way to work, a new light popped up that was not nearly as suggestive. It was a picture of a flat tire with an exclamation point! It demanded immediate attention! I counted my lucky stars that I made it to work in one piece. Then on my way to home via the tire shop, the light disappeared. And homeward I continued.

I realized it must be just be the change in weather, with fronts and circling high pressure systems and the like. It apparently wasn’t so urgent, but the Oil Life Update reported just a 30% Oil Life, so I decided to see a mechanic to get an oil change and check my tires, because I am no mechanic.

Now, I am no mechanic, and as it turns out, my mechanic is no John Duffy, meaning just an all-around great guy. I took my car to Goodyear Gemini Tire and Auto in Gainesville , VA where it was worked on by Justin. After three hours of waiting, (and at least a dozen people coming in asking that their tires be looked at because a warning light came on… I’m sure they love that), I picked up my keys and paid for their services.

Glad to be done with it, I headed to my car with a skip in my step. I revved my engine and watched as the panel of lights all go off, save one, a glowing flat tire with an exclamation point. I waited a bit too patiently for the light to go off, before my spirits dropped and I turned to the Oil Life Update, which still read 30%.

If this were the stock market, futures would be down ahead of the bell.

I went back in and explained the issue, Justin from Goodyear Gemini Tire and Auto in Gainesville , VA was scolded and I watched my car through the window this time as they worked on it and finished it up in fifteen minutes.

It was bizarre and makes me suspicious of all mechanics, but the silver lining… I don’t know what Justin did, but now it takes a really long time until my flashing seat belt guy starts to make noise. It’s probably not a good thing, but I can almost make it to the traffic light without having to worry about my seat belt!

No comments: