Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Weekend Dinner

I’ve fallen into a downward pattern of not living in the moment. I’ll do something over the weekend and then decide to write about it come Tuesday or Wednesday. I blame my intern Jeff… I’m not asking him to reinvent the wheel here, just find a better layout for the blog.

I have just posted something that I wrote in the moment and set the time stamp closer to that moment, but I’m afraid it might reveal a bit too much about what happens in my head at any given moment. I have quite a few of these posts that I write and write and write and then realize that they make very little sense, so I never post them and then they sit in limbo waiting to be posted. I feel sort of bad for them, but they’re usually the type that you’re right in feeling bad for.

Anyways, starting over based on this weekend, which included realizing that I didn’t want to be in downtown Philadelphia:

I enjoy going out to eat. I do this far too often, but it still feels like such a treat every time. This weekend, however, I got a real treat, a fancy meal at a fancy restaurant.

The place was just a steakhouse, but the $60 meal included steak and seafood, salad and sides, and the option of crème brulee among other stuff for dessert. I don’t even know what crème brulee is! The steak and seafood were absurdly good. The salad, too. My side, a baked potato the size of a football, looked amazing, but I couldn’t eat it as I was stuffed. The desserts, as a table, we graciously declined, so I still don’t know what crème brulee is.

All in all, despite the extreme excess, what a treat! As I’ve said, I enjoy going out to eat, and I always enjoy my cheeseburger or chicken sandwich with fries and a coke. I’ve all but stopped eating fast food nonsense in place of the dining experience. After this weekend, I’m left wondering if I shouldn’t go a step further. Maybe I should hold off on the mediocre outings and save up for really nice meals once or twice a year. I would probably save money in the long run, and it almost certainly would be a healthier decision.

Right now, I’m stuck on the “but what would I do?” argument. Going out to eat is like entertainment! There are probably thousands of answers, but for some reason, my mind just can’t think of any. Maybe I’m just hungry… I think a bite out somewhere may help.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like it was almost as good as McDonalds.

tjd