Thursday, July 22, 2010

With the Good Comes the Bad

Today was one of those days when the planets aligned, God smiled down, and everything seemed to go my way. I left a bit late for work today, but all the lights turned green as I approached. I said all the right things at all the right times. I turned in all of my big projects at work. My questions to the boss were somehow more insightful, my jokes to coworkers were definitely funnier, and my random encounters with the general public were all meaningful and memorable to everyone involved. Yes, in a word today was magical.

When I got home, I discovered my zipper was down.

Upon reflection, I realized that I had not been to the bathroom all day. I had roamed the office with an uncharacteristic confidence, spent some time speaking with my boss and my boss’s boss in her office, chatted casually with the casual chatters whose chatter I usually avoid, and all-in-all had myself a pretty social day… all the while with my zipper down.

I’m not too clear on philosophical debate or mystical beliefs, but I cannot help but wonder if the two are connected somehow. Recently, I have come to think that I have faith in the abundance – you like that confidence? I’m not quite sure what it is supposed to mean, but to me it is simply that there is enough out there for everyone. There is enough good for everyone to be good or enough wealth for everyone to be wealthy… that sort of thing.

But then my zipper was down, and that can’t be good.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Since the "open zipper" was so positive you should develop a faux "open zipper". Attached with simple Velcro it could change a persons approach to their everyday experiences. Without the embarrassment of a real "open zipper" it could change the whole being embarrassed episodes. Confined to males only you could explore a similar device for females. tjd

Matt J. Duffy said...

I taught half a class with my zipper down once. Can't remember if I was having a good day or not. This bears further research...