Thursday, October 14, 2010

Something Sweet in the Rain

It rained today, but I still made my way to the lake for lunch. I like going to the lake when it rains because you can see a difference in the water level after just a morning of rain. The higher water cleans up the place too, it makes it look healthier and more like the pristine recreational lake that it wants to be.

Unfortunately, I had to stay in the car and watch the rain on the windshield blur the autumn leaves. It wasn’t so bad though… how hard can life be when you are enjoying a fantastic Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwich? Plus, I’ve added something new to my lunch. Well, I’m not sure if “new” is the appropriate word for something that brings back so many memories.

When I was a kid, my lunch usually included a peanut butter sandwich (no jelly), cheese bits (which I think we’re either Cheez-its, or knock off Cheez-its, but in my head they were “cheese bits”), a bought box of milk (which all too often would go unopened), and some form of Little Debbie.

My Mom, and later my Dad, would only buy one kind at a time, so it was really a crapshoot as to what you were getting from week to week. Star Crunches were typical. They were always good, but somehow a little too crunchy. And crunch isn’t always what you want from your lunch ender. Oatmeal pies were also common, but they were always somewhat of a disappointment. I can picture myself rolling my eyes and swinging my arm in a grandiose “aww, shucks” kind of way upon discovering the light-brown oatmeal pie. Granted, I didn’t have any trouble eating them, but they always lacked a certain something, namely chocolate. That’s why all the good days, back in grade school, always included a Fudge Round.

The Fudge Round might just be the ultimate in lunchtime sweetness. It’s soft and moist, frighteningly close to gooey for such a pre-packaged treat. It’s richly chocolate without being disgustingly sweet. It’s satisfying in its single package, marking the perfect end to the perfect lunch, with just enough to look forward to for the next lunch.

Plus, they are one of the few things that I am never tempted to eat apart from lunch. Even growing up I don’t remember sneaking in and grabbing one, from the bottom cupboard under the microwave. In my head, they are strictly for bagged lunches and nothing else. My wife suggested taking some in the car for a long car ride, and I had to fight my instincts to agree to it.

I’m not sure if the Fudge Round will be a permanent addition to my lunch, but I am definitely going to enjoy them while I have them. Something is telling me to give Oatmeal Pies a second chance though…

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Did you enjoy the Fudge Round while wearing a tie? What are you going to be for Halloween? Does it involve a tie?
kdk