Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Tim Bush, A Man of the People

Tim Bush, today is your day!
Elated Tim (right) receiving the Round Five Prize from an equally elated John Duffy.
Today I can write about nothing but my brother-in-law, Tim Bush who won the honor and prestige of being spotlighted in this hallowed publication in Round Five of a special Duffy edition of the Ticket Tree that took place on December 29th, 2010. The winning bid was a depressingly low $5. People apparently have little interest in having their name and reputation shine, by the words of John Duffy, on the internet in perpetuity. Well, Tim Bush, it is their loss and your gain. I’m going to make you glow bright enough to roast a duck.

As I begin to write this portrait of a true American, I find myself struggling to encapsulate all that is Tim in such a format, and I have to wonder if this assignment would be better served in a six volume encyclopedia set on all the wonders that is Tim Bush, or perhaps an HBO miniseries starring Daniel Day Lewis as Tim Bush would be more appropriate. The subject may even lend itself to a daily newsprint featuring up-to-the-minute information on the man himself, Tim Bush… Oh, man! Tim could have his own blog!

All joking aside, I fear Tim Bush. My fear stems from Tim’s innate ability to seamlessly integrate into a family as wound up as my own. I believe most folks can relate to this experience, and while some do it with loud and boisterous techniques that can be effective, Tim opted for a more laid back approach. For most, it would take years to pull this off. With my own experience in which I’ve adopted a similar strategy, after 8 years it remains a work in progress. Tim however pulled this off in, eh, 14 months.

As my loyal readers could suspect, I carry a certain amount of respect for the era of yesteryear and Tim’s profession screams of this. For Tim Bush, is a shopkeeper. I’m sure there are other terms that might be more suiting, like Gallery Owner, Business Owner, Art Trader, or even Artist in his own right, but with “shopkeeper” Tim can be envisioned by those who don’t know him as wearing a manly apron and a visor, with glasses on his nose and a pencil behind his ear. Plus, I can attest that, much like Tim himself, the River To Sea Gallery is a North Carolina treasure and Wilmington landmark for this generation.

As recently as last month, if you were to ask Tim about himself, the Gallery would not be the first thing mentioned, but instead he would talk about his three wonderful kids – and perhaps their wonderful uncle. They are all truly awesome – especially the uncle – and incredibly lucky to have a guy like Tim as their dad.

Ever since a few weeks ago, if asked about himself, Tim would undoubtedly talk immediately about his time playing America ’s favorite game show, the Ticket Tree! Not only did he win this Round Five prize, but he also won the Grand Prize Round! Here he is accepting his winnings! 
Tim receiving the Grand Prize, a John Duffy original painting, from the Special Duffy Edition of the Ticket Tree.
Despite this cheesey post, Tim's a great guy and should have more days devoted to him... days that don't cost $5.

2 comments:

John Duffy said...

I've got some splainin to do.

I hope to get a post up soon explaining what exactly is happening with the game show... and some other stuff going on.

Ann L. Duffy said...

Tim Bush is awesome and deserves such high praise in this esteemed publication.

For the record, I might have paid more than $5 for the blog honors, but I had already been kicked off the Ticket Tree. Alas!