Friday, February 11, 2011

My Favorites: Day 11

My Favorite Chick Flick

Does Mama Mia count?  That movie was great, so much so that another written-but-not-published post was devoted entirely to it... and the commercials on during it. 

Anyways, so I missed writing this on the right day.  I mention it because, even though I'll back date it to yesterday, an odd thing happened this morning.

This morning, as I was enjoying a waffle breakfast and preparing for the Saturday morning soccer game on ESPN2, I flipped through the channels and back-to-back were the two movies that were in the running.  It was like a championship showdown at 9:30 in the morning!  My wife laughed out loud, seeing the dilemma arise. "Well, here it is, I think whichever one you choose has to be your favorite," she said, knowing me better than myself.

My response was "What about A Cinderella Story," the Hillary Duff/Chad Michael Murray masterpiece, retelling of Cinderella.  I knew she was right, though.  A Cinderella Story just filled a void one slow weekend and was never seen again.  I was ridiculed about it relentlessly for a few months afterwards, but I really have never seen it since that weekend... when I watched it twice.

So what two movies were on and which is my favorite?  You're going to have to click past the jump to find out.

I'm not sure the first one is a true chick flick. John Tucker Must Die is about four girls who try to kill this guy's reputation, but there's love and happiness in the end so I think it counts.  The girls do all sorts of things to ruin the reputation of the captain of their high school basketball team and none of it seems to work... they should have tried making him write about his favorite chick flick on-line.  There's no coming back from that kind of humiliation. 

I first found it when it was on a premium movie channel.  The thing about those channels is that they play the same movies over and over again, so I watched it several times and it never got old.  A few months later, Tiff gave it to me as a gift and I still wanted to see it again.  Yeah, John Tucker Must Die, it's a stupid movie, but it's fun to watch and it's pretty good.

This morning that movie was almost over, so I chose the other option, which I am proud to say is my favorite chick flick: A Lot Like Love.  The story of two people who keep running into each other.  I don't want to give anything away because chances are you haven't seen it and you most definitely will now that I've mentioned it.  That way you can laugh at me and think "that poor guy needs some help."  I will say that, unlike the other two I've mentioned, it's about people closer to my own age, which I think is what pushes it over the edge.

Before I end this revealing post, I should add that today I saw another great chick flick for the first time, Letters to Juliet.  There's something about it I really liked; it's the perfect combination of predictable chick flick and Rick Steves adventures through Europe.  So, if you ask me this question in a few months, might I have a new favorite?  It'll definitely be a contender.

2 comments:

tiff said...

Your readers should know - Letters to Juliet was watched again after I went to bed last night... I think it may be at least beating A Cinderella Story.

Matt J. Duffy said...

I loved reading past the "jump" -- made me feel like I was reading a newspaper.