Tuesday, February 08, 2011

My Favorites: Day 8

My Favorite Times to Wake Up and Go to Bed

Ooohh… a two-parter. My brother-in-law once told me that as a kid, he would stay up late every night because he didn’t want the day to end… because tomorrow would mean another day of school. That’s a bit of a paraphrase, but it is something that I think about a lot, like whenever I’m channel-surfing at some crazy hour of the night.

That being said, the answer to both has the same explanation. It is always nice to get everything done for the day and then realize that it’s only 9:30 in the morning. It makes me talk to myself, “9:30 in the morning and I’ve already hung up all my clothes, did the dishes, did some yardwork, fed the hogs, paid the bills and read the paper… today is going to be a good day!”

Yep, it is nice to wake up early - maybe 30 minutes or so after you have to get up for work – and not be tired. It’s also nice to be woken up by the sun, which it seems was how God intended it… pillowtop bed and all. So the ideal time to wake up is around 7 to 7:30.

Sleep is important so if I’m waking up early, I need to be in bed early. Increasingly, I’ve found myself dragging my tired self to bed and, as I rest my head on the pillow, I glance at the clock reading 9:30 at night before turning off the lights and drifting off to sleep with a smile.

Conversely, it’s also nice from time to time to stay up late and then wake up at 9:30 in the morning and realize that there’s nothing that really needs to get done anyway.

No comments: