Monday, February 07, 2011

My Favorites: Day 7

My Favorite Live Event

I wish I had a long list of live events to choose from. For this particular topic, I wish I had a long list of live events that had all been cataloged and sorted from my most favorite event to my least favorite. Sadly, this isn’t the case and once again I am left uncertain and feeling like I should pick one at random.

First off, I’m going to define live event as anything that people gather to see, excluding movies. In most cases it would be planned and paid for, but I don’t think that that is a requirement. Second off, if I did have a list of all the live events I’ve ever been to, the Kow Bell Rodeo (celebrating one-thousand-seven-hundred-and-thirty-three consecutive weekends of high-roping rodeo action!... looks like it has been torn down) would be near the middle.

This is a big category and as a result it is proving difficult. How do you compare something like singing along to U2 with 60,000 people by your side, to the quiet man with a guitar who sang at a restaurant by the beach? Or where to rank the awesomeness of witnessing Ben Olsen knock in a free kick from Jaime Moreno to tie the game up in the final minute of the game compared to the simple joy of seeing local townies race down a hill on a tricked out bed? They are all favorites in their own way. They’ve each added wonderful memories that I won’t soon forget.

If I were to single one out though, it would probably be the U2 concert. There’s something about that many people coming together that is difficult to describe.

There are a bunch of events that I hope to see live someday.
- A Speech by the President of the United States of America
- The Launching of a Space Shuttle
- Albuquerque’s Annual Hot Air Balloon Festival
- The Ribbon-cutting of DC United’s Soccer Stadium
- A Beached Whale Explode
I’m sure there are few others too.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'd forgotten about that wierd rodeo. Can you believe we did that?
kdk