Wednesday, February 09, 2011

My Favorites: Day 9

My Favorite Song to Sing to in the Car

The Roswell High School Fight Song… du, du, du, duu, duu, duu, d-d-duu… Go Hornets!

This seems like more of what I expected coming into this challenge, and I’ll begin by admitting that last Friday after work I arrived home almost hoarse because Queen’s “Bohemian Rhapsody” came on the radio. It was great. You can’t not sing to that song… although, I have stopped trying to do the headbang part during the guitar part a la the scene from Wayne’s World.

The thing about songs, and what makes music so great, is that there is a different great song to sing for all occasions and emotions. “Bohemian Rhapsody” is great in a lot of circumstances; as is Billy Idol’s “Rebel Yell” and Radiohead's "Creep.” Tom Petty’s “Free Fallin’” has me singing in most cases, as does Guns ‘N’ Roses’ version of “Knocking on Heaven’s Door” and The Rolling Stones’ “Sympathy for the Devil,” which might be favorite song overall.

As for My Favorite Song to Sing, the answer is an easy one for me: White Snake: “Here I Go Again.”

Tiff says I have to give her credit for these choices, because I never would have listened to many of these before I met her.  To be honest, I do listen to plenty of other stuff and sing the hell out of them too, but songs are that much better if they come on the radio and the third song on the first Josh Ritter album that I bought is never on the radio.

4 comments:

tiff said...

Who are you and what have you done with my husband? You are not this cool when I am in the car with you. ;)

Tiffany Duffy said...

And might I add... this might be my favorite post yet... It's no Asia, but it'll do. :)

In fact, here's your first faithful reader request: can you do a challenge where you post a great hair band video every day for a month?? That would just be great, thanks.

Martha said...

I found myself thinking of your post yesterday as I was driving home from the airport and there weren't any good car driving/sing out loud songs on the radio. Plus I was driving Ann's car so I was limited in my channel surfing to only the local stations and I was seriously missing my XM. I find it amazing how the right song makes driving so much more enjoyable.

Recently, XM's 80s station started playing 'More Than Words' by Extreme. I think I can confidently say this is my favorite song to sing to in the car. And I must admit, I sound pretty good belting it out in the car with the windows rolled tightly up.

Unknown said...

John, you have solidified your standing as the coolest uncle ever with the Xmas CD. That thing is in heavy rotation in the car right now. It's only competition is AC/DC. Oh yes, my kids are rockin' it in Abu Dhabi!