Tuesday, April 12, 2011

The Coffee Pot

It has been a while since I wrote.  I feel like that has become my theme.  The Muted Guerrilla: It’s Been Awhile.
 
Or perhaps my theme has become not following through on grand plans for posts.  This post is another example of this.  See, its original idea involved a well-crafted sketch of me catching a slippery coffee pot with my foot in the moment before I kicked it into the cupboard door, smashing it into a million little pieces.
 
There’s much more to the story actually. 
 
Sometime around the New Year, I set out to become a coffee drinker.  I’m not really sure why I decided to do this, but the gift of a new coffee maker for Christmas definitely made that decision easier.  It’s a Sunbeam!
 
I quickly grew to like coffee, which came as a bit of a surprise.  To this day, I still equate the smell of coffee with the stale coffee stench of my mother’s car when I was a kid.  (Hi, Mom!)  That car actually hosted a never-ending odor battle of coffee and spearmint gum that, when mixed with my mom’s driving, always left you a little queasy, regardless of how long the car ride was.
 
But now I am an adult and coffee, with tasty goodness added to it, is pretty good.  I haven’t gotten to the point where I drink it everyday though.  In fact, I usually only have it on the weekends. 
 
Well, one recent weekend I had the thought that I should give the coffee pot a good cleaning.  This is when my coffee drinking days came to a crashing end as I was switching hands to grab a towel.  Or so I initially thought, but then I got to thinking… 
 
The coffee maker that included the pot was fairly cheap, so I reasoned that the coffee pot couldn’t be more than a few bucks.  I was willing to pay a few bucks for a new coffee pot to replace the one that I broke.  No where on-line is that an option, however, and all hope seemed lost.
 
Luckily, my wife has brains to match her beauty, and she suggested contacting the company.  My wife even wrote the e-mail herself!
 
Four or five days later, the door bell rang unexpectedly and we were presented with a large box from Sunbeam.  We are now the proud owners of one brand spanking new coffee pot, absolutely free.  I don’t even have to clean it out first!
 
I love absolutely everything about that.  If companies competed to keep me happy, the score right now would be: Sunbeam: 1.  Everyone Else: 0. 
 
Oh man, oh man, if companies competed to keep me happy….

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Impressive customer service. But, by my calculation, you had to actually go without coffee for 4 or 5 days. I could not have done that.

And - here's a little glimpse into our age difference - the smell of coffee does remind me of being in the car for long trips AND it reminds of smoke. Because Dad smoked and Mom poured coffee at the same time.

Ann Duffy said...

Oops - that was Ann, btw. Still signed into the school's "family" account when I posted that.