Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Funny Money

While I stopped writing for a few weeks recently, life pushed onward.  Many stories went unwritten, many tales never shared, but a few gems gleaned from my adventures in ordinary life are worth mentioning.  This is one of them: I spent my emergency money on a hot dog and a coke. 
 
It happened at a Costco in Woodbridge, Virginia .  I was working, but out-of-the-office for lunch, so a co-worker suggested the big-box store’s little café as a cheap way to fill our bellies.
 
After visiting their surprisingly immaculate bathrooms, I ordered a foot-long hot dog and a coke.  The total bill: $1.50.  With the food laid out between the cashier and myself, I thoughtlessly presented my debit card and quickly learned that I needed cash.  Unfortunately, that was a problem as my wallet was bare.
 
Tucked away in hidden corners, however, I keep my emergency money… two five dollar bills.  Ten dollars will solve very few emergencies, but in truth, I never thought I would spend them.  You see, they’ve been there a very long time.
In 1998, I left home for college with nothing more than two suitcases filled with everything I own… in 1998. A few months into college – in 1998 – I found a five dollar bill folded up and tucked away in hidden corners of my wallet. Every now and then – in 1998, I would take it out and examine the writing around the edges that were unmistakably written by my sister in 1998. It was a little piece of home in a faraway place – in 1998.  
 If you look close you will notice the misspelled acronym of Mary Washington College!
It reads:
(Front)
John's Emergency Money
-Lucky Dollars-
From Big Sister 07-26-98

(Back)  
Make it all the way without spending this five
Then into the world richer you will arrive.
Four years later, in 2002, I graduated and proudly displayed this five dollar bill from 1998 as proof of my frugality.  A few months later, I discovered another five dollar bill (with a whole new look) with another catchy couplet lining its edge tucked away in hidden corners of my wallet. 
Sadly, I don’t have a picture of this one, nor do I know what it says. For, after nine long years in my wallet, I spent the five dollar bill, on a hot dog and a coke.

4 comments:

Tiff said...

This is so sad. :(

rebecca said...

For nine years I've been wondering what you'd decide was important enough to spend your lucky five on. The hot dog wins! I wonder if it tasted better than usual? That other five will be lonely in there now. Maybe you should give him a new playmate. Perhaps a ten (inflation). b

Kaiser Villaviciencio said...

Man.. that was really cool! You took the meaning of emergency money into another level with that years of frugality. Whew! But it's kinda sad that you spent it on a hotdog and soda. Rebecca's ten dollar bill is a great idea! Haha!

Ann L. Duffy said...

Amazing that you held onto it for so long. I once was buying gas somewhere in Mississippi and - after I filled up - realized they didn't take credit cards. I left them with my Driver's License and promised to return. Before I turned out of the parking lot, I remembered the $20 tucked in my wallet behind some pictures. What a great feeling that was!

I'd say, you found an appropriate use for the emergency cash. Food definitely qualifies.