Monday, November 21, 2011

Dreaming Bigger

Improving this blog seems like an easy task as there’s nowhere to go but up. I've got a bunch of ideas, so this is the first part of a running series that will have… ummm… 43 parts. It might be best summed up as delusions of grandeur.

I have not been doing a very good job keeping up with my self-indulgence through this blog. This should not be much of a surprise. The blog comes and goes with my interest in finding interest in things that aren’t really interesting. My son Leo has become the star of the show, but while his videos are fun, they were intended to be a weekly supplement to the bustling marketplace of stories and ideas that the Muted Guerrilla will become… at least in my head.

Recently, however, I’ve been dreaming bigger and scheming smarter. Unfortunately little has come of it.

One thing that keeps running through my mind is the ongoing events. I have had the most success with the monthly challenges. The separate blog did not work out but both my Tie-tober event and My Favorite February seemed to be pretty popular, but it is time I start thinking bigger, with events for everyone to participate in and anticipate for eagerly!

My first attempt at this was the First Annual Jack-o-Lantern Competition Extravaganza. It was somewhat of a success, even though I am still haunted by the wild visions that floated through my head. Every good competition needs a prize and I’m disappointed in myself that I did not put something together. Also, there should be a live component to it, with timers and hay bales and live music and apple-bobbing. Next year’s First Annual Jack-o-Lantern Competition Extravaganza is sure to be an unexpected spectacle.

That being said, the competition has a very late entry that is being acknowledged even later. It is in the new vain of pumpkin carving that has become all the rage… I’m going to call it the bas-relief-o-lantern style. (I’m fully aware that my pretentious label could be way off, and if it is than I could very well be hip, once again!) Either way, it could raise the bar for next year’s competition.
Donatello does machines!  That's a fact, Jack!

No comments: